The STEPS project in Thurston County worked with
numerous individuals, organizations and communities to
provide support for residents who were ready to:
- Make healthier food and nutrition choices;
- Live More actively;
- Identify and modify asthma triggers found in
their everyday living environment.
Over a 5 year time period, the Thurston County STEPS
project also worked with:
- Local Health Care providers to develop and
integrate support for behavior change among the
people they serve.
- Area Schools to develop and integrate
support for healthier living into the school
STEPS To A Healthier WA in Thurston County projects
prevent and reduce the impact of chronic disease (Asthma,
Diabetes, and Obesity).
What is STEPS To A Healthier US?
As part of a national effort to address the burden of
chronic diseases and support positive lifestyle choices, the
US Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) launched a
bold new initiative in 2003 called STEPS to a Healthier US.
The DHHS STEPS initiative
- Financial support for up to 5 years in
selected states and communities;
- A comprehensive, community driven,
prevention based approach ;
- To address the key chronic health
Type 2 Diabetes, and Obesity;
- And factors that impact these conditions
including Physical Activity, Nutrition and
Our current health care system is not structured to deal
with the escalating costs of treating diseases that are
largely preventable through modifiable behaviors. Realizing
that small changes over time can yield dramatic results, the
Steps initiative was committed to identifying and promoting
interventions that encouraged behavior and community changes
as a means to support lifelong healthier living.
- Project Summary Sheets [PDF]
- *Coming Soon!
Internet Web Links