The Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN)
Program serves children who have physical,
behavioral or emotional conditions that require health and
related services beyond those generally required by children.
CSHCN is a Federally and State funded Title V
Maternal-Child Health Bureau program offered through the
Thurston County Public Health & Social Services Department.
The program offers:
- Access and coordination of services to all
children with special needs
- Limited direct medical services, equipment
and supplies to those families that meet financial and
Who is eligible for services?
- Children birth to 18 years of age;
- Children who are at increased risk of serious
chronic, physical, developmental, behavioral or
- Children who require health and related services of
a type or amount beyond what is generally required.
What are the services?
We offer Public Health Nurse Case Coordination services
to families in Thurston County regardless of income.
There services are offered by home/office visits or
Children with Special Needs Program Coordinator work to
help children meet their highest potential possible by:
- Listening to your concerns;
- Helping you with your child's changing needs;
- Providing screening and assessment of your child;
- Providing health information and guidance;
- Referring to community resources;
- Helping develop and maintain a network of services
- helping with transitional services.
How do I apply?
To apply for our CSHCN program, please call Bonnie
Peterson at (360) 867-2543 or send an
How do I make a referral to CSHCN program?
Referrals to our CSHCN program in
Thurston County, can be made by families, schools, medical
and service providers, and other concerned people.
Residents of other counties may contact their local health
department or district
for more Children with Special Health Care Needs
Helpful links for your child and family